Aquaman star Jason Momoa said he has not given his children a phone, a TV, or video games, encouraging them to use their own imagination.
Speaking with Deadline ahead of the premiere for the new Minecraft movie, Momoa said that his children will learn to explore the digital world when they become adults.
“We don’t have a TV,” said Momoa. “My son doesn’t even have a phone. He’s 16 and he doesn’t have a phone. We’re different. He’s going to be 18, he’s going to have a phone, he’s going to be out of the house and he can explore the world after that.”
Momoa said that he prefers his children to “use their creativity in a different way.”
“I just want them to use their creativity in a different way and so we do a lot of other things,” said Momoa.
Momoa then got more philosophical, observing that the world got along just fine before everyone had a phone.
“Everyone was doing just fine. You and I didn’t grow up with phones, so no one told me what to do and I had to find it,” he said.
Momoa did say that he and his children watch movies together as a family.
‘A Minecraft Movie’ star Jason Momoa on why he doesn’t let his kids play video games or have phones: “We’re different dude. I just want them to use their creativity in a different way” pic.twitter.com/8kLhP4UtTT
— Deadline (@DEADLINE) March 31, 2025
The actor received an outpouring of support on social media.
“Too many parents give their kids iPads and phones now and it’s just horrible. I’ve seen multiple 3-6 year olds just given tablets now and it’s just such a bad way to parent. It may fix things now but it’ll cause issues later in life,” one commenter said.
As Breitbart News reported last year, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) banned the use of phones during school hours amid outcry from educators.
“Our students are glued to their cell phones – not unlike adults,” said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. “They’re surreptitiously scrolling in school, in class time. They have their head in their hands walking down the hallways. They’re not talking to each other or playing at lunch or recess because they have their AirPods in.”
Paul Roland Bois directed the award-winning Christian tech thriller, EXEMPLUM, which has a 100% Rotten Tomatoes critic rating and can be viewed for FREE on YouTube, Tubi, or Fawesome TV. “Better than Killers of the Flower Moon,” wrote Mark Judge. “You haven’t seen a story like this before,” wrote Christian Toto. A high-quality, ad-free rental can also be streamed on Google Play, Vimeo on Demand, or YouTube Movies. Follow him on X @prolandfilms or Instagram @prolandfilms.