Pope Francis cancels weekend events as he remains hospitalized

Pope Francis cancels weekend events as he remains hospitalized
UPI

Feb. 18 (UPI) — Pope Francis canceled his weekend jubilee audience on Saturday as he continued to be hospitalized on Tuesday in stable condition at a Rome hospital.

Francis who has been in the hospital since Friday where he initially was treated for bronchitis, also canceled a delegation of Sunday special mass. The Holy See Office said that Archbishop Rino Fisichella, the pro-perfect of the Dicastery for Evangelization, will celebrate the Mass of the Jubilee of Deacons on Sunday in St. Peter’s Basilica.

Doctors listed Pope Francis, 88, in stable condition on Monday at Rome’s Gemelli Hospital, where the pontiff prayed, read, and worked, the Catholic News Agency reported. He received treatment for a polymicrobial respiratory infection.

“Pope Francis is touched by the numerous messages of affection and closeness that he has been receiving in the recent hours,” the Vatican said in a statement on Monday.

“He especially wants to extend his thanks to those who are hospitalized at the time, for the attention and love they have expressed through drawings and messages of good wishes. He prays for them and asks that they pray for him.”

The Vatican said earlier that medical staff call on “absolute bed rest” for Pope Francis while he was being treated there.

Authored by Upi via Breitbart February 17th 2025