Trump says Prince Philip's death is 'irreplaceable loss for Great Britain'
London-based senior foreign affairs correspondent Greg Palkot on Prince Phillip's death.
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, passed away at Windsor Castle Friday morning at the age of 99. He and Queen Elizabeth II had been married for 73 years.
Trump issued a statement Friday saying he and Melania send their deepest condolences to the Queen, the Royal Family and the British people.
"This is an irreplaceable loss for Great Britain, and for all who hold dear our civilization," Trump said in the statement.
In this June 1, 2020 file photo, Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip pose for a photo in the quadrangle of Windsor Castle, in Windsor, England, ahead of his 99th birthday on Wednesday, June 10. (Steve Parsons/Pool via AP))
He continued: "Prince Philip defined British dignity and grace. He personified the quiet reserve, stern fortitude, and unbending integrity of the United Kingdom."
Trump said Prince Philip was respected around the world and served as an "exceptional example" of service, constancy and patriotism.
Queen Elizabeth II will now enter an official mourning period of eight days.
The 94-year-old reigning monarch will halt royal duties. Affairs of state have also been paused and no laws will be given royal assent.
Fox News' Melissa Roberto contributed to this report.